[mythtv] OpenGL developments

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Feb 21 22:21:53 UTC 2007

On 02/21/2007 04:45 PM, Richard Thornton wrote:
> OK so sounds like this is more than possible, when picking a card,
> should I go for the number of shaders or the some other variable
> (clock speed maybe) to give me the best chance of offloading 1080p?

Once someone writes an implementation, we'll be able to tell you which
specs are important...  ;)

> I am thinking the Nvidia 8xxx series.

Definitely overkill in the short term and a bit of a gamble--i.e. is the
extra cost of buying near-top-of-the-line now less than the cost of
buying a sufficient (i.e. NVIDIA 5200 or so) card cheaply now and buying
again in 1, 2, 3, or 10 years (getting the 3-year-old, then middle-tier,
but now overkill NVIDIA 8,600,000) once someone makes it possible to
take advantage of the card's power.

And, quite possibly, by the time someone writes this code,
general-purpose CPU's may chug along downclocked to their lowest
stepping when decoding 1080p60 MPEG-4 AVC (H.264), making the use of the
GPU for decoding about like using XvMC--or worse, a dedicated MPEG-2/DVD
decoder--for decoding SDTV today.

Note that I'm not saying don't buy it--but neither am I saying to buy it.

> Is there anything the community can do to help, donations?

I doubt the community would be interested in donating to help offset the
cost of your purchase.  ;)

Seriously, someone just needs to write some (good foundation) code so
the snowball can begin rolling and picking up more snow...

Mike