[mythtv] Using Wikipedia as a source of artist information for MythMusic

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Feb 11 02:31:19 UTC 2007

On 2/10/07, Ross Campbell <ross.campbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2/4/07, Timothy Livingston <tim at livingstonautomation.com> wrote:
> > Can an interface for Amarok be created for MythTV?
> While I'd love to see this, I say it's unlikely. Amarok has a lot of
> dependencies.
> HOWEVER there are some libraries used by Amarok that I think _could_
> be interesting for mythtv:
> TagLib: http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/taglib.html
> libvisual - http://libvisual.sourceforge.net/v2/
> I'd *REALLY* like to have this optionally included or included in
> addition to goom - There's already a patch -
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/231873 - some argued
> that libvisual development is stagnant, but I believe mythtv's goom is
> still an old one and hasn't been sync'ed with goom2k4, so... ?
> libgpod - http://www.gtkpod.org/libgpod.html - mytharchive -> ipod anyone?
> > Amarok does a great
> > job of managing the music library, pulling information from a wide
> > variety of sources based on context, maintaining podcasts, and even
> > interfacing with portable media devices.
> I really like the streaming player in Amarok...
> But it doesn't have a great UI for use from 15 feet away, and it has
> too many "windows"
> > Lets not re-invent the wheel- Make MythMusic a remote-friendly interface
> > for some already incredible music management software...
> Due to the number of dependencies for amarok, I highly doubt there
> will be support for making amarok a dependency of mythtv
> > And personally
> > I like being able to pick a database format and use it as a standard.
> oh, and then there's that... amarok uses sqlite. MythTV uses mysql. My
> feeling is that a music player should not store metadata information
> in its database that isn't also stored in id3 tags.

not totally true. I have Amarok using MySQL, its an option one can
choose. I actually use Amarok on my mythfrontend via ssh to listen to
music (since I really dislike MythMusic's interface). I too think it
would be neat if MythMusic could use the Amarok database like this,
though I don't know if it would gain MythMusic anything. But I'd
prefer to see the interface made better first...

Before you ask, read the FAQ!
then search the Wiki, and this list,
Mailinglist etiquette -