[mythtv] "A", "An", and "The" for sorting - ticket 3048

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Tue Feb 6 13:45:28 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-02-06 at 13:28 +0000, Tim Phipps wrote:
> On Tuesday 6 February 2007 3:42 am, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> > * On Mon Feb 05, 2007 at 09:06:16PM -0600, Matt wrote:
> > > However, I still believe that "The" should be ignored in sorting.
> > Not that I care since I don't use MythMusic, but I'm sure "The Who"
> > would disagree with you on this point. :)
>
> ...and what about "The The"? I don't want them to disappear. My vote is to
> sort using the name of the artist/band as the artist/band would write it.
> It's their name after all and I think it's only polite to respect that.

"The The" would be sorted as if it were a single "The".

The reason real-world libraries and MythTV discard the leading
article when sorting is because otherwise half the titles
would be sorted under "A" and the other half under "T".

If we got rid of this behaviour any person who has ever visited
a library would be telling us that we should discard the leading
article when sorting, and they would be right.

-- Daniel (a former Page & current bookshelf collector)

PS There is nothing wrong with greying out the article
   as a form of hinting for the non-literary.