[mythtv] MHW EPG Patch (sort of)

mr m.ridoni at cicero.it
Thu Feb 1 16:21:49 UTC 2007

I've developed some code which implements a functionality to decode and 
insert EPG data in MHW format, which is used by several European 
satellite providers (Sky, Canal+, etc.). My code is based on the code 
found in mhwepg, by J. Repetto, which I rewrote in some parts and 

I'm hesitant to call this work "patch" since, given my limited knowledge 
of MythTV internals and of QT more in general (sorry, I'm a C# guy 
during the day, I only get to tinker with my MythTV box with a full moon 
:-) ) it's more a rather crude hack, and that's why I didn't open a 
ticket right away: I developed a class (MhwScanner) which does the real 
work, and hooked some calls to it into the EIT active scanner code, 
which I disabled. On my system, It's more or less stable (it has been 
regularly fetching EPG events for the last two weeks); I get the 
occasional backend crash, but I'm not sure if it depends on my code, on 
the SVN revision I'm running (12345) or on some other patches I had to 
apply. The fundamental problem is that my code has an heavy impact both 
on MySQL (20.000 to 30.000 EPG events are found at each run and then 
"EIT-appended" - I used a modified version of a method in the EITHelper 
class -  and checked/inserted) and on system memory. I suppose that some 
kind of threading is needed, in addition to proper integration with the 
backend code, but as I said before I don't know MythTV well enough to do 

If anyone is interested, I'm going to clean up my code as much as I can 
and then publish it on the list or attached a ticket, but I'd like to 
know what's in your opinion the best course of action.



More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list