[mythtv] Netflix -> MythTV recording script

Aaron Longson zenoniii at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 28 23:18:53 UTC 2007

I didn't see anything like this and thought it'd be useful.  I subscribe to netflix but only the 2 a month plan($4.99).  My queue is far larger than I will ever actually receive and there are many older flicks that are regularly shown on TV.  Rather than manually setting up a search in MythTV, I wrote a perl script to parse the my netflix rss feed and schedule recordings based on it.

It downloads the netflix rss feed and for each title, it executes a query against the database looking for the following conditions:
  --movie is in the current listings
  --movie is not in current recordings
  --movie is not is not currently scheduled to record
  --movie is not showing on one of the "blackout" channels

Blackout channels are channels that tend to show movies only after horribly mangling them(TNT, USA...).

Testing is currently minimal, but it's a fairly simple script that I've used a few times.  However, I'm also a perl novice.  ;)  Anyway, I hope this is useful to someone other than me.

http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs