[mythtv] New UI control

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Wed Dec 12 18:56:17 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 17:52:44 Andrei Tanas wrote:
> > Yes it can but where I work, they tried to create an interface for a
> > device based on it and they had a lot of problems like the flash plugin
> > consuming lots of CPU (something related to timers IIRC), difficult to
> > receive feedback from the running processes, etc
> >
> > > http://gplflash.sourceforge.net/
> > > http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/
> >
> > The gnash plugin worked much better but lacked a few necessary things
> > (I
> > can't tell which ones exactly as I wasn't involved). In the end they
> > choose to use clutter. http://www.clutter-project.org/
>
> Sure it doesn't have to be Flash (although, there's probably a lot more
> designers who know it than everything else combined), it can be Clutter or
> MS Silverlight for all I know, I just think that it's not a very good idea
> to implement "UI control" from scratch when these things already exist.

MythUI has mostly been written, it's very good at what it does and when
mythfrontend is ported over to use it, you'll start to see some very cool
themes/UIs as a result.

Neither Flash nor Clutter would be easily themable, they rely on
pre-determined animations and effects. MythUI allows the themer to devise
their own graphics, layouts, animations and effects in simple XML. MythUI is
also easily extended, the same can't be said for the other two.
--
Stuart Morgan