[mythtv] freesat from BBC/ITV

Simon Kenyon simon at koala.ie
Wed Dec 12 16:50:39 UTC 2007

Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> Simon Kenyon wrote:
>
>> Freesat will be launching in March 2008.
>> Has anybody been in contact with these folks to get details?
>>

> We know enough of the details already. It's more or less a standard
> dvb-s setup.

don't you mean DVB-S2?

>> For example, will the EPG be usable by MythTV as it stands, or will
>> changes be required?
>>

> The RT grabber is your friend here. To utilize the over the air EIT
> data we will most likely have to make some changes. This will require
> one of the devs to have access to a dvb-s card...

i can provide access if needed.
i already use the RT grabber.
i'm think more of the proposed 7-day EPG talked about.
with Sky, as the signal is encrypted, developers are unwilling to play
in this space.
with FreeSat, as the signal will (as currently things stand) be in the
clear. so there is some hope of a decent over-the-air programme guide.

>> What will be the minimum hardware requirement be for a frontend (and a
>> backend for that matter)?
>>
>> I would like to "hit the ground running" when this service is launched.
>>

> No different to normal.

well i have a hard time with the BBC-HD trial on an AMD 64 X2 6000, so
define normal.
--
simon