[mythtv] Official Thread: Mythtv.org Redesign

Chris Petersen lists at forevermore.net
Mon Dec 3 04:00:56 UTC 2007

Jonatan Lundin wrote:
> Here is my design contribution:
> http://files.ettention.se/mythTV/mockups/mockup-1.png
>
> I did this mockup last night so it's only a first draw, but I'd like to
> see what you think.

I really like the color scheme and the smoothness of the whole thing,
but am a little wary of the light on dark color scheme.  Though I
personally use it on my machine, some web design studies have indicated
using light text on a dark background page-wide will "annoy" most
readers on an unconscious level and lead to shorter browsing times and
higher turnover rates.

Added to http://forevermore.net/mythtv/mockups/ with the rest of them.

> BTW: Witch font is used in the mythTV logo, I couldn't find a good match...

I don't think it's a font, but will ask around to get a copy of the
EPS/SVG version of the logo that was recently re-made because the
original high-res version was lost (or never existed in the first place).

Oh, so here's the deal.  I actually (finally!) spent some time on the
site layout this weekend, and came up with the following set of pages
and overall layout feel:

    http://newmyth.forevermore.net/

I'll continue adding content to this over the next couple of weeks, but
if anyone would like to try their hand at design elements to help shine
things up a bit, I'll add them to the mockups list and maybe to the site
itself.  I like the idea of adding some artwork next to the main menu
items and in the quick links box.  Would also be cool to have some sort
of TV-shaped overlay image to composite with screenshots to make them
prettier (if you make it, I'll handle the coding to plug it through
ImageMagick for the, well, magic).

If you would like to do something different than I have in HTML already,
there are really only two main requirements:

 * Top-menu design with text links so that it can easily be incorporated
   into trac, wiki, etc.

 * Front page with basic info, quick links and a few newsblog items.

All of the text copy is still up in the air, so feel free to write your
own or just use placeholder text.

-Chris