[mythtv] Mixed debug/release build

Michael Haas laga+mythtv at laga.ath.cx
Fri Aug 24 23:35:55 UTC 2007

Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> Have you seen ticket #3589? Would that be compatible with apport?

I'm not sure, I'll have to ask an apport wizard.
#3589 looks interesting. I'm not sure if I understand what it does,
though. It strips the debugging symbols and puts them into a separate
file, right? For the Ubuntu packages, we're already doing that
ourselves. The build script has some clever magic which automatically
strips dbg symbols and puts them in separate packages. Atrpms seems to
have separate packages with debug symbols, too.
>  A profile build stack trace isn't as good as a debug
> build one for debugging, but it is often sufficient.
I was told that "proper" debug builds are preferred over profile builds,
that's why I actually wrote that patch. Of course, I can't find relevant
IRC logs so I can't prove anything :) Consensus seemed to be that
optimized builds are too hard to debug.

>  It also has
> the benefit of having symbols for libavcodec, libavutil, which in
> my experience generate most of the difficult segfaults.
In my patch, the debugging symbols are kept as well. It's essential a
debug build which uses -O3 for certain parts of MythTV.

Regards,

Michael