[mythtv] I'm back

David Abrahams dave at boost-consulting.com
Mon Aug 20 13:17:44 UTC 2007

on Mon Aug 20 2007, "Devin Heitmueller" <devin.heitmueller-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> Yeah, that was me who reported the problems with the symlinks being
> messed up.  I spent a full three our four weekends trying to debug it.
>  I installed a clean toolchain.  I did countless fresh builds.  I tore
> apart the Makefiles, I replaced "ln" with my own version that would
> log it's output.  I littered the Makefiles with "ls -l" at every point
> I could.  I replaced "rm" with a bash script that would do "ls -l"
> before and after.  I ruled out possible concurrency glitches in the
> Makefile by doing "-j1".  I even ran the entire build process through
> the OS X equivalent of strace.
> The only lead I ever developed was an inconsistency in the behavior of
> "ln -s" on UFS versus HFS+ volumes (I explained these findings in the
> previous mailing list thread).
> In the end I burned a good thirty hours trying to isolate the problem
> and since this was my initial experience with MythTV, I gave up.  I
> wasn't going to waste any more time trying to improve a platform I
> couldn't even get to compile.
> I sincerely hope you get to the bottom of the issue.  Please post to
> the mailing list if you do.

Unfortunately I did not.  I have a feeling that it might have
something to do with the special case-sensitive filesystem that gets
created for building, but I never saw this problem when I was building
MythTV over a year ago (using the same basic strategy), so it can't be
that alone.  To get the build to complete successfully, I just deleted
all the bogus symlinks and the libraries they were supposed to refer
to and ran it again.  I really have no clue why/how it could happen.
Seems to me that some FreeBSD group might have answers about this.

Dave Abrahams
Boost Consulting

The Astoria Seminar ==> http://www.astoriaseminar.com

More information about the mythtv-dev mailing list