[mythtv] Displaying messages from mythshutdown in mythfrontend - ideas?

Matthew Wire devel at mrwire.co.uk
Sat Aug 18 19:19:53 UTC 2007

> I would like to see such a feature, too. E.g. for mytharchive to inform the
> user to insert a dvd, close the tray or similar things.
>
> Another solution would be to use external applications like xosd and simply
> run this application with the needed message. A popup would be really nicer.
>
> mythtvosd is no option, because it works only if the user uses the internal
> player.

Actually, it may be easier than I thought... Attached is a quick patch
to the network control interface to allow a dialog to be displayed.

Use telnet to test.  Parameters are as follows:

# DIALOG title message defaultbutton button1 button2 button3 etc...

Returns: It returns the id of the button that was pressed: 0, 1 etc.

* You just keep appending buttons on the end until you have enough!

Issues:
* You can't have spaces in any of the strings.
* It's not documented in the help.
* It probably has other bugs in it.

Please give it a test, thoughts anyone?

--