[mythtv] mythtv-vid branch needs testing

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 9 19:10:53 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 8/9/07, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> > sorry for that last email, i needed to recompile mythplugins.
> >
> > Now I'm trying to watch an SD show to see if it uses the OpenGL
> > renderer and see how the new scaling works out. I'm noticing this in
> > the log: which shows its turning on and off the deinterlacing,
> > something it used to do before. These are from captures of analog
> > stations over firewire. Is there a way to force deinterlacing on
> > automatically?
>
> Not as far as I'm aware.

Could I set up a recording group for these channels that transcodes
the recording with deinterlacing? I've never done anything like this
so I'm not sure how that would work.

> > Also, is there more than one option for scaling in the OpenGL renderer
> > or is the default the "best quality" its going to be able to provide?
>
> The default scaling (when needed) is bilinear filtering.
>
> At some point in the next few months, I'll finish the code I started
> for bicubic filtering which will be the first step towards true
> 'upscaling'. This is likely to require sifnificant gpu horsepower
> though.

The current Xv scaling is bilinear as well correct? They seem to look
about the same. What about CPU upscaling? I've got plenty of CPU power
left when decoding standard definition stuff that it should be able to
handle a higher quality scaling algorithm. I'm not really concerned
with scaling any HD formats, but a quality scaler for DVD's and SD
content makes a big difference.

thanks!
--
Steve