[mythtv] mythtv-vid branch needs testing

James Buckley xanium4332 at googlemail.com
Thu Aug 2 15:04:58 UTC 2007

On 01/08/07, Asher <freedenizen at gmail.com> wrote:

> The main thing I have is the lack of overscan with the opengl
> renderer.  Some of the videos have the vbi info at the top and it is
> pretty distracting to have it there.
>
> I also noticed a lot of prebuffer pauses when playing back HD content.
> I set it to just use regular XvMC with (I believe) the same settings
> that I use for trunk without problem.
>
> I don't have my logs accessible right now but there were messages in
> them stating something along the lines of "deinterlacer 'xxxxx' not
> active'  It didn't matter which deinterlacer I chose, even none it
> would say that.
>
> All that said, the video quality does look better for SD shows, and I
> love the full sized OSD displays

I've been running the branch for a while, and am currently in the process of
creating some ubuntu debs (for easy install). I'll setup a repository
hopefully, which would let people easily install + test them. The biggest
problem at the moment is the plugins, as they've changed quite a bit since
the 0.20 release (which the current debs are based on).

As a side note, using some of the more exotic deinterlacers, such as linear
blend/kernel (2x, hardware), when the video is panning, or an object moves
quickly, 'shimmering' (best way to describe it) occurs between colour
differences. I guess it occurs across the whole image, but is only
noticeable between 2 different colours (e.g. white and red). Just want to
check that it is a known attribute of the deinterlacer, and not a
configuration problem. Even still, it's nice to have no 'flicker' issues
created by BOB, yet still keep the framerate.

Is there any timescale for the merge, within 6 months, a year?

Regards, James