[mythtv] Could/should the shutdown command be kept locally?

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 00:17:41 UTC 2007

On 4/22/07, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 23/04/07, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I believe you're saying that it is kept in the database - it is, but
> > > frontends can't run without the db so there's no difference. You could
> > > try to modify your boot params so that the frontend would try to start a
> > > few times, and if failed, halt the machine... 'Though I'm not sure if
> > > the frontend crashes when it can't connect to the db or does it just
> > > assume that it's not configured yet...
> > >
> > > --
> > > Pozdrawiam,
> > > Michał Sawicz
> > >

> > Right. To me being able to gracefully shut down a computer is sort of
> > a 'must have' feature so that users don't damage a machine by pulling
> > the power plug. Since this command is kept on another machine then if
> > the network connection is bad or the backend database is down for some
> > reason the machine ceases to be very 'graceful'.
>
> Pressing the power button on the frontend machine will gracefully shut
> the machine down, if you've configured your OS properly. Similarly, so
> will configuring a remote button to use irexec to shutdown the machine
> via a simple script.
>
> Nick

Yes, I've done that much. However if you are in bed at night and
pretty much ready to go to sleep so you decide to shut the machine
down and find out it cannot communicate to the backend server then
getting out of bed to push the power switch is a minor inconvenience.
Nothing major of course. I'd even be happy with a non-Myth LIRC-based
solution that went around Myth completely.

Anyway, I thought I'd bring it up with the hopes that it might gain a
bit of traction for some future attention.

Thanks,
Mark