[mythtv] Using my main mythtv box for development

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Apr 23 16:17:24 UTC 2007

On 04/23/2007 12:11 PM, Kevin Fox wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-04-23 at 01:02 +0100, Colin Guthrie wrote:
>
>> You shouldn't /need/ to run mythtv-setup to upgrade the schema. The main
>> schema is stored in libmyth AFAIK and any myth progam (backend,
>> frontend, setup) will undertake to update the schema. Certainly last
>> time I upgraded and ran mythbackend it did the schema update.
>>
> I'd like to register a complaint about this feature. :)
>
> One time when I was upgrading my system from .18 to .20, I upgraded one
> of the frontends (xboxs) to .20 and was going to point it against a .20
> test server. I didn't catch it quick enough in the boot, and it
> connected to my real backend and then that frontend proceeded to upgrade
> the schema in the database out from under the .18 backend, forcing me to
> fast track the backend upgrade.
>
> Most people I don't think will expect a frontend to do anything like
> that. It would make much more sense for the frontend to complain and
> quit rather then breaking a backend.

Backup before upgrade has /always/ been the recommended approach.

But, for the lazy or ignorant,
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/262398#262398

Besides, if mythfrontend/mythbackend are changed to not upgrade
automatically, who's going to answer all the user questions about, "I
just upgraded and now nothing works..."

Mike