[mythtv] Using my main mythtv box for development

Roo roo.watt at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 08:55:57 UTC 2007

On 23/04/07, Colin Guthrie <mythtv at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:

> Roo wrote:
> > When you upgrade you need to run mythtv-setup, this will upgrade the DB
> > Schema for you. After installing the newly compiled binaries and before
> > starting mythbackend just run mythtv-setup and watch the log file, if
> > the DB Schema needed to be updated you should see a log message stating
> > it was/is updated to version N.
>
> You shouldn't /need/ to run mythtv-setup to upgrade the schema. The main
> schema is stored in libmyth AFAIK and any myth progam (backend,
> frontend, setup) will undertake to update the schema. Certainly last
> time I upgraded and ran mythbackend it did the schema update.

Thanks for the advice Colin, I thought that I read that it was mythtv-setup
that did the schema upgrade, this has always been my practice. It saves
editing my .xinitrc each time to start mythtv-setup instead of
mythwelcome... cool ;)

> One thing that caught me out is:
> > It seems you need to compile mythtv first **and install** it before
> > compiling the plugins. When the plugins are compiled they use the myth
> > libraries from the installation directory. I didn't realise this until
> > recently when I had a problem compiling mythmusic, it wouldn't build
> > because it was using the old installed libraries instead of the newly
> > compiled libraries in the mythtv source tree.
>
> Make sure that you don't end up with two installs. I'm not sure where
> Gentoo puts it's installs (I'm guessing the whole distro is not in
> /usr/local!!) but you could end up with one install in /usr (your
> systems install) and another in /usr/local (what you build from svn).

Thanks again, I don't think it should be a problem for me though. I have
never installed mythtv from portage, I have only ever compiled mythtv from
source and have always used /usr/local as the install prefix. Although I now
understand why compiling plugins can be a big problem if another install
exists.

Cheers,

Roo.