[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r13275 by stuartm

Dan Wilga mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Fri Apr 20 17:36:46 UTC 2007

At 4:02 PM -0700 4/19/07, Bruce Markey wrote:
>You mention New Titles but that is absolutely one entry per
>title. I've never heard of most of the titles (which is the
>point, of course) so there is no reason to think that I would
>want to sort alphabetically to look up a title I've never
>heard of or didn't expect =). What's most important is to see
>what is coming up today that I may want to record before it's
>too late. I've never sorted the what's new list by title other
>than playing around and looking at the title sort for the heck
>of it. I do often hit "1" again to get a reverse sort by time
>to see what new titles were added in the last mfdb run.

What I generally do is look at the New Titles and Movies lists every
week or two and schedule anything interesting to be recorded. I don't
care when it's on, and I definitely don't want to see the same thing
listed five times. Of course I can press "2", but why should I have
to if I always use the list the same way?

I am not trying to say that my use patterns are typical, but I also
don't think you should assume yours are, either.

>>So, what about storing the settings separately for each search type?
>
>John Poet had sent the original patch that lead to this and
>he had different pages sorted differently and the emphasis was
>that there would be one "unique" entry for each title and less
>emphasis on sorting alphabetically. It struck me that any list,
>regardless of it's origin, could/should be viewed by the user
>either way. Having one consistent behavior for the proglist page
>would be less confusing and more useful than a set of quirky
>exceptions.

I think you misinterpreted my suggestion. I was not proposing that we
come up with different sorting defaults per search page. I agree that
this would be quite quirky.

Instead, I was proposing that we store the last used sort method
(time/title) and sort direction separately for each search page. That
way, when the user returns to New Titles, it would default to
whatever sort method they last used there, and when they return to
Movies, it would default to whatever sort method they last used on
that page.

>>Yes, it's a little more work, but I do agree that it would be more
>>intuitive. I'd be willing to write this patch if it will be
>>accepted.
>
>I don't know what you mean by "more work".

I only meant more time to write the code, because it would mean
defining two settings strings per search page, instead of the single
pair in my current patch.