[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r13275 by stuartm

Bruce Markey bjm at lvcm.com
Wed Apr 18 19:21:29 UTC 2007

mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
>       Author: stuartm
>         Date: 2007-04-18 16:02:05 +0000 (Wed, 18 Apr 2007)
> New Revision: 13275
>    Changeset: http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/13275
>
> Modified:
>
>    trunk/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/proglist.cpp
>
> Log:
>
> Closes #3122
>
> Apply patch to remember proglist sorting preferences.

I don't think this is a good idea. While it is easy and possible,
that doesn't mean that it follows that it is a Good Thing. Consider
the number of concerned users that post saying that they don't
see all their recordings on the Watch Recordings page (after
they selected a group other than "All Programs"). The confusion
would be worse for users who hit 1 or 2 on any proglist page (maybe
by accident) and always get funky episode lists forever after.

The default for upcoming episode lists should be all the showings
starting from the earliest available time. A different order is
a keystroke away. I've always known that the state could be stored
and consciously and deliberately didn't want that to happen to me
or anybody else.

I absolutely use title sort for Search->People. The state is
maintained in that proglist session so I can press "End" to
cycle through all of my saved People searches and all results
are sorted by title. Next, I see a movie title that I like so
I press "O" to get a list of all the upcoming showings for that
one title entry (as it always has to this point). However, with
the state saved, the list for this movie title would be again
sorted by "Title" and would only show one entry(!). Pressing
"1" to see the showing times then ESC would then set the state
back to Time for the People search results and so on.

Worse yet, the proglist is used for all search results, upcoming
episodes for a title, the Test button on the Custom Record page
and so on. If someone pressed a sort button on any of these pages
for any reason then went to look something up the next day, they
may see one entry for a title rather than all the upcoming episodes
and may not know why but simply assume that myth is saying that
the show will only be shown once when that is not the case.

Therefore, I have to revert this. I'm not saying that this couldn't
be thought of differently or improved but I think using the last
proglist state in place of the default sort has much more negative
impact than positive.

--  bjm