[mythtv] Mythtv.org and MythWeb Flash

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 16:50:10 UTC 2007

On 4/10/07, Chris Petersen <lists at forevermore.net> wrote:

> Chris Petersen wrote:
> > I also have some mockups done by Justin Hornsby (juski in irc), but
> > he's asleep right now so I can't get a copy to put up to show you.
>
> He woke up and dug up the mockup I liked the best (or something close to
> it).  It's missing buttons and icons, but represents a pretty nice
> enhancement to what I started on my demo site:
>
> http://www.juski.co.uk/mockup11.png
>
> -Chris

Will FLASH be required?

I use Solaris at work and Macromedia/Adobe are *VERY* slow at releasing new
versions of FLASH for that operating system.  Furthermore, I have never seen
any version of FLASH which works well under Solaris.  It is sooo bad, that I
cannot visit FLASH-only websites.

It is extremely aggravating to go to a site which says "You need FLASH" to
view this site.  I have FLASH installed, but the site wants a newer
version.  But, no "newer" version is available for Solaris.

Another major problem, is sites which have a FLASH window which is supposed
to grow & shrink.  Under Solaris, the FLASH window is always drawn at it's
largest size, and therefore hides any information which is under it.  This
makes it impossible to read/navigate any site which uses FLASH in that way.

I have been developing under Solaris for 13 years, and over that time have
come to absolutely HATE FLASH.  Hate it, Hate it, Hate it!

I have a feeble hope that Adobe will do better with FLASH than Macromedia
did.

John