[mythtv] Doxygening Myth?

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Tue Sep 19 06:07:13 UTC 2006

On 19/09/2006, at 3:06 PM, Chris Pinkham wrote:
> Others can give more info, but the following search will
> give you lots to look through while you wait. :)
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/search?
> q=doxygen&wiki=on&changeset=on&ticket=on

	That's no good, the first few are my checkins.
It will look like I am an expert!

On Mon Sep 18, 2006 at 10:02:08PM -0700, Andy Hohenner wrote:
> Been looking for something that I can help with
> and this seems like a good starting point...

	Thanks for offering to help out, Andy.

> Who's working on this / can anyone give me some guidance
> so I'm not duplicating effort and conforming to standards...

	Daniel was the main instigator of the
Doxygenation process, but he is busy for a
month or so. Here are some suggestions:

* If you go into the docs directory and 'make devdocs',
   it will generate the current Doxy tree.
   Try 'Related Pages' and the ToDo list.

* The coding standards don't explicitly mandate a
   style for Doxy comments, so I have been trying to:

a) Match the existing comment style in the file
    (e.g. if it is full of C++ line comments,
          use that style, otherwise use C-style
          comments, as I think they stand out more)
b) Document in the base classes first.
    That will be pulled into the sub classes
    as a \brief style summary.
c) If a sub-class' implementation does something
    unique, then add something there in the .cpp
d) Don't include function prototypes or method
    signatures in a \fn blah line.
    Some early Doxygen versions may have had problems
    getting those from the class definitions,
    but the recent versions I have tested (1.2.5, 1.4.7)
    do not.

* I haven't done much grouping, but there
   are some modules there now to guide you

* I haven't decided what to do about static functions
   and #defines. There are a lot of those that I would
   like to put in \cond ... \endcond so that we don't
   clutter the documentation, but I haven't been brave

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|"Look at this!
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | Do you think I put this in