[mythtv] packed image format and new deinterlacers

Doug Larrick doug at parkercat.org
Fri Sep 15 23:13:43 UTC 2006

Markus Schulz wrote:
> Perhaps this would clear with the following:
>
> Currently i got: (25FPS for PAL)
> Plugin Call: Frame with Field 1 + 2
> Plugin Call: Frame with Field 3 + 4
>
> Nice would: (50FPS)
> Plugin Call: Frame with Field 1 + 2 (top first)
> Plugin Call: Frame with Field 2 + 3 (bottom first)
> Plugin Call: Frame with Field 3 + 4 (top first) ...
>
> It would be nice to hear some comments on this, i would like to put some
> of the DScaler deinterlacers into mythtv. But at least the frame
> history is a must have for this.
>
> Any Suggestions?

The main problem you'll run into with nicer deinterlacing is that a
filter has no way of doubling the frame rate, except for the hack I used
when I wrote the current bob filter (where collusion between the filter
and the video-out method shows alternate halves (top & bottom) at double
the frame rate).  There's no way to get full-sized, double-frame-rate,
frames out.  I'm sure it would be possible to fix this, but will require
changes to more than just the filters.

If you do manage to fix this, what I might suggest to get the data more
advanced filters need is to eat the first three frames, storing them in
whatever format is convenient, and output black replacement frames.
Then when you have enough frames you can start outputting real data.  If
you're going to go to this trouble, you might adapt the filter interface
to one used by some standard tool, such as dscaler or tvtime, that has a
variety of filters available.

-Doug