[mythtv] xvmc-gl only for nvidia?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu Sep 14 18:36:46 UTC 2006

On 09/14/06 03:38, Axel Thimm wrote:

>The configure script only allows xvmc-gl if the xvmc libs are the ones
>from nvidia. If one uses xvmcw xvmc-gl is disabled.
>
>I'm using xvmcw for the packages, otherwise it would require from users
>to only use nvidia hardware. Is xvmc-gl really only available under
>nvidia? And if so could it become a runtime check instead of a build
>time switch (e.g. like done for vld)? Thanks!

TTBOMK, xvmc-opengl (the "nVidia XvMC OpenGL texture method") is still
not ready for production (or packager ;) use.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/203600#203600
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/commits/202450#202450

Although Daniel changed the default in configure to no in [9926], he
didn't change the --help output to "--enable-xvmc-opengl    disable
nVidia XvMC OpenGL texture method".  So, although it looks like it's
automatically enabled (if you have NVIDIA libs) unless you disable it,
you really have to explicitly enable it, because it does bad things to
performance--even if you have NVIDIA drivers.

So, this is on Daniel's list of future improvements (it came from the
mythtv-vid branch, and he didn't get as much time as he wanted to work
on that brance because of all the other issues in other branches).

Mike