[mythtv] firewire tester

Andrew Casper andrew at andrewcasper.com
Thu Sep 14 00:02:09 UTC 2006

On Aug 21, 2006, at 9:02 PM, John P Poet wrote:

> On 8/19/06, Jim Westfall <jwestfall at surrealistic.net> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> Attached is a firewire tester I wrote up this evening.  I would
>> like to
>> get a few firewire folks to give it a try.  It still needs a bit
>> of clean
>> up, but should be mostly functional.
>>
>> It allows testing of both p2p and broadcast connections, as well as
>> attempting to fix up broadcast connections.
>
> Jim,
>
> This has a lot of potential.
>
> I have a SA3250HD, so am forced to use p2p.  I managed to wedge the
> 1394 data feed by trying to tune a "copy never" channel.  At that
> point I could repeatedly run your tester, and get:
>
> ./firewire_tester -p -n 0 -v
> raw1394: Allocating handle, port 0.
> Action: Test P2P connection, node 0, channel 0
> P2P: Creating, node 0, channel 0
> P2P: Testing...Failed
> P2P: Disconnecting.
> raw1394: Releasing handle.
>
> If I then reset the 1394 bus using 1394commander, and then use your
> tester:
>
> ./firewire_tester -p -n 0 -v
> raw1394: Allocating handle, port 0.
> Action: Test P2P connection, node 0, channel 0
> P2P: Creating, node 0, channel 0
> P2P: Testing...Success, 345 packets received
> P2P: Disconnecting.
> raw1394: Releasing handle.
>
> At that point, using test-mpeg2 always seems to generate data.
>
> I have not tried rebooting my backend yet, but so far it seems to be
> very consistent -- Resetting the 1394 bus, followed by your tester,
> seems to get the data flowing reliably.

I've been wanting to try firewire_tester, but I was waiting for the .
20 release. I've got .20 installed and I see firewire_tester.c came
with the install. I'm not a developer, so I need a little guidance
here. Do I need to compile and if so how? And should this be run with
the backend stopped?

Thanks.

- Andrew