[mythtv] More scheduling scheduler

David Engel gigem at comcast.net
Wed Sep 13 01:58:55 UTC 2006

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 06:55:39PM +0100, Martin Ebourne wrote:
> for 0.20, though it looks like that won't happen now. I had
> assumed it had gone quiet because David was busy, if there's any other

I've been busy with various other things to the point I've had little
time to be much more than a Myth user.  With the days growing shorter,
that will hopefully change but how much is TBD.

> I've been running the softpad changes patched into svn trunk ever since it
> was first developed (I did post at the time as well). I think there's only
> a couple of minor conflicts I've had to resolve with recent versions.

I have two main issues with the current softpad approach.

First, I changed the priority sorting to prefer padded programs in a
way that isn't acceptable for inclusion in trunk.  That could possibly
be remedied by adding explicit priorities for start and end softpads.
I'd hoped to avoid needing priorities for that, but I currently don't
see any other way with the current, multi-candidate approach.

Second, in order to add partial padding when full padding can't be
done, another scheduling step is need do it.  If another step is
added, it's not clear to me that the rest of the current,
multi-candidate approach is worth it.  Why not go back to something
along the lines of what Max Barry originally proposed (though, without
the mixing of soft padding with pre/post-roll).

David
--
David Engel
gigem at comcast.net