[mythtv] mythtv-dev Digest, Vol 43, Issue 3

Martin Long martin.long at rozel.net
Thu Sep 7 12:29:12 UTC 2006

I can understand all of the arguments for limiting the amount of settings
needed. It can be particularly difficult configuring through the screens,
using the remote control. (Now where was that option?) And I always feel
that there is an important option missing somewhere, only to stumble on it
later on.

Could we perhaps present all of the options in an easier to use format on
mythweb? I know this is already done, but it's in a very generic manner,
and doesn't offer the support that the config screens do. It could be made
quite friendly, with global settings and client specific settings
presented in an appropriate way.

It could also be used to provide some of the tweaks like discussed below,
where it's not so important to take up real-estate on the setup screens.

I'd be happy to work on this, if no-one else is itching to do it, or
working on it already. (As soon as I get my second frontend up and running
that is ;)

Martin

> On Thursday 07 September 2006 04:58, MythTV wrote:
> > Perhaps doing a percentage based amount as opposed to a static time
frame.
> > Either something to the effect of it knowing/monitoring that you watched
> > 90% of the show OR that you exited the show with 10% left.
>
> Please discuss the patches in mailing list in future.
>
> A percentage alone doesn't really work for very short recordings or very
long
> ones - the period would either be too long or too short.
>
> I updated the patches yesterday to use a percentage with a 5 minute minimum
> and 12 minute maximum threshold. Those values will probably be tweaked
based
> on feedback from those testing the feature.
>
> I'd be interested to know whether anyone could present a good argument
for not
> allowing watched and autoexpire flagged recordings from being deleted first
> by the autoexpirer? I don't really want to add more settings to turn it
> on/off.

perhaps use commercial flagging for an end point, something like: "If
the user watched up to within 1min of the final flag point even if
outside the percentage threshold" to mark as watched? Sometimes movies
on movie channels end well before the marked end-time, and from what I
understand places like Australia may have a similar issue?

Also, how do you intend to track what was actually watched and what
was FFWD'd through?

I also think a basic way to enable or disable the feature would be
nice. I don't really need or want to use such a feature, though I can
see how those with smaller recording drives would find it useful.