[mythtv] Compiling SVN with --arch/--enable-proc-opt (athlon64 CPU w/32bit Fedora)

Nick knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 01:35:27 UTC 2006

Do I get any benefit (and conversely expect any problems) when using
the configure options '-arch=' and '--enable-proc-opt' when using an
athlon64 processor with a 32-bit x86 Fedora kernel?

When I run configure on SVN (just checked with 11063) without CPU
options, the CPU was identified as 'x86 (athlon)' with MMX support and
not as an athlon64. Is this the correct behaviour for detection of a
64bit CPU when running on a 32-bit OS or should it detect the \actual\
CPU?

If I run configure with '--enable-proc-opt' (no --arch=) should that
provide any extra optimisation during the compile? When running the
same configure options on a P4 CeleronD, configure reports CPU x86
(model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz). On the athlon64
system, 'uname -m' gives 'i686', and 'uname -p' gives 'athlon'. On the
P4-based system, both give 'i686'.

What are the most effective configure options to ensure that the build
takes best advantage of the Athlon64 CPU on a 32-bit kernel?

Many thanks in advance,
Nick

--
MythTV Official wiki: