[mythtv] HDHomeRun discover broadcast

Jim Paris jim at jtan.com
Tue Oct 31 15:42:33 UTC 2006

> 1) Find another way to determine all the subnets across all interfaces.
> I have gone through the ifconfig source code - it isn't pretty.
> The netlink API was designed for this class of use. Any attempt to avoid
> using the netlink API will result in re-implementing chunks of the
> netlink API.
>
> 2) Define these dependencies as "absolutely necessary".
> Problem solved by definition :-)
>
> 3) Define these dependencies as optional - used if present and generate
> a helpful warning if not present.
> For people compiling for themselves it doesn't matter much (unless they
> have a HDHomeRun and they have multiple IP addresses, in which case they
> should install the libraries).
> For people building public packages the libraries should be used so that
> it will work for everyone using the packages.

4) Identify the HDHomeRun by IP address rather than ID and avoid the
   issue.  I provided a patch to do this here:
   http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/2609

5) Use SO_BINDTODEVICE.  Unfortunately, this requires root, but it
   adds no new dependencies.  I've written and attached a small test
   program that uses this to send a UDP packet out on all interfaces.

-jim