[mythtv] Plugins license

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sat Oct 21 19:43:14 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-10-21 at 18:18 +0200, Ivan Perez Dominguez wrote:
> > Even if he doesn't change MythTV, his plugin would still contain the
> > binary representation of certain components of mythtv that linked in
> > at compile-time. In this way, he'd be mixing free and non-free software.
> Well, I guess I'll have to implement a client/server-based plugin, being
> the part that really uses
> mythtv code under GPL2 and the other part under a different license.

That wouldn't get around the licensing issue, client/server is
just another means of linking. What you can do is write a plug-in
for another program (SageTV?), or write a standalone program which
does whatever you want it to do, and then port it to the MythTV API.
But you need to discuss this with a copyright lawyer well versed
in both software copyrights and open-source licenses because it
is a complex legal matter what constitutes a derivative work in
software.

-- Daniel