[mythtv] MythVideo internal player filetype case sensitive

George Nassas gnassas at mac.com
Fri Oct 20 18:54:20 UTC 2006

On 20-Oct-06, at 3:33 AM, Stuart Morgan wrote:

> Could you give examples of the problematic DVDs so we might fix it?

I went through my to-watch pile but haven't exhaustively checked each
disc. Normally once I get a problem I switch the player to xine. So
far I haven't encountered very many dvds which are fully watchable
using the internal player although I sometimes watch the main title
and the switch to xine for extras. Sex and Lucia seems to be one that
works OK in all menus. If I had to choose only one film on a desert
island that would be a good pick.

Anyhow, here's the breakdown:

Apocalypse Now Redux
- No highlighting on submenus
- Scene selection menu iterates through all selections and then
player freezes although exit key works

Bitter Tears (the Fassbinder film)
- crash when any submenu is selected
- logfile says "libdvdnav: *** pgci_ut handle is NULL ***"

Battleship Potemkin
- selecting root menu from the popup iterates through all scene
selections and then crashes

The Cider House Rules
- no menu highlights

Like Water for Chocolate
- selecting subtitles off the root menu crashes player, log says
"DVDNAV_STOP"
+ the scene selection menu works

Control Room
- go into scene selection and press down to select a scene - player
takes it as "next title" and starts playing something
- same for other submenus

Dzi Oi / Embrace Your Shadow
- menu highlights so faint as to be unreadable

Elles étaient cinq / The Five of Us
- no menu highlights

Frida
- when I skip to the root menu from the opening fbi warning I get
"pgci_ut handle is NULL" and highlighting is inconsistent after that
- movement of highlight is inconsistent in submenus although it does
seem to be moving from one selection to another

Gladiator
- can't select director commentary from audio submenu. Down acts as
"next title" and you get to the subtitles menu instead
- deleted scenes submenu iterates through all selections and then
autoplays the "all" choice

The Great Escape
- scene selection auto-iterates through about half the selections and
then freezes. Exit key works
- special features submenu auto-plays the documentary so you never
see the choice of "Theatrical Trailer"

The Green Mile
- no highlighting on submenus (scene selections, special features)
- languages submenu pops back to root menu immediately

Hable con ella / Talk to Her
- no menu highlighting although the navigation seems to work

Hard Days Night
- highlighting inconsistent in submenus. Initial selection will be
underlined but when you navigate away the underline disappears

Life of Brian
- commentaries menu crashes player, log says "DVDNAV_STOP"
- same for deleted scenes

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956 version)
- special features crashes player with "DVDNAV_STOP" in the log
- scene selection iterates through all selections and then exits

The Manchurian Candidate (2004 version)
- special features menu plays to intro animation and then jumps back
to root menu
- one of the other menus (not sure because highlighting wasn't
working) exits player immediately

The Manchurian Candidate (1962 version)
- no menu highlighting

Women on the Verge of a Nervous Breakdown
- on entering root menu player exits with a DVDNAV_STOP

Night of the Hunter
- on entering root menu player exits with a DVDNAV_STOP

Rashomon (Criterion version)
- Chapters and Languages submenus iterate through all selections and
then begin playing the movie
- when the film starts from the chapters menu I can't get back to the
root menu, it keeps restarting the film

Roman Holiday
- Special Features plays the little animation and then pops back to
the root menu
- Scene selection plays the animation and exits with DVDNAV_STOP

Rosencrantz & Guilenstern Are Dead
- Stills Gallery on the extras disc iterates through all pictures and
returns to root menu
- other than that this one seems to play OK. good work!

Shadow of a Doubt
- DVDNAV_STOP on special features menu

The Shining
- highlight graphic (a film reel) doesn't move with navigation
although player seems to know where it is
- jump to a scene iterates through first two screens of selections
and then freezes player

The Sixth Sense
- chapter selections auto iterate through first two screens

Taxi Driver
- menu highlights don't work

All About My Mother
- menu highlights don't work

Toy Story 1 and 2 combo package
- playback begins with lots of "libdvdnav: RANDOM or SHUFFLE titles
are NOT handled yet."
- when you get to the root menu playback stops with DVDNAV_STOP

The Truth About Charlie
- DVDNAV_STOP on root menu

Up At the Villa
- DVDNAV_STOP on root menu

Life is Beautiful
- libdvdnav: RANDOM or SHUFFLE titles are NOT handled yet.
- UI freeze when you get to root menu although exit key works

The Wild Bunch
- disc 1 - popup jump to root menu iterates through a bunch of
screens and comes to rest on Edmond O'Brien biography, UI is frozen
after that but exit works
- disc 2 - popup jump to root menu iterates through a bunch of
screens and comes to rest on Robert Ryan film highlights, UI is
frozen after that but exit works
- if you let it go it autoplays the main title OK so that's something

Witness for the Prosecution
- plays the MGM sting and then exits, no message in logfile
- if you can select the root popup during those first 5 seconds the
root menu exits with DVDNAV_STOP

Yojimbo (Criterion version)
- main title autoplays, if you select root menu from the popup the
menu graphic flashes briefly and the film plays on

Center Stage (biopic about Ruan Ling Yu)
- main title autoplays, selecting root menu from popup flashes the
graphic and then immediately begins the main title

Thelonious Monk: Strait, No Chaser
- no menu highlights
- scene selection iterates through all the screens and then exits
with DVDNAV_STOP

My setup is an epia m10000, debian (mostly) unstable, xorg 7.1, myth .
20-fixes (from Christian's packages), playback is through VIA XvMC.
The other possibly interesting bit of info is from the log: it's
"Using dvdnav version 0.1.10-xine from http://xine.sf.net".

All of these titles were extracted using MacTheRipper into a file
structure minus css, macrovision and regional locks. Those files are
then passed through mkisofs to create the iso I place in my mythvideo
folder. After an extraction I use xine to verify that the iso is
valid and coherent.

If there are specific things to try I can see about building my own
packages with patches.

- George