[mythtv] Dropping php4 support from MythWeb

jack snodgrass mrlinuxgroups at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 16:56:59 UTC 2006

On 10/11/06, Kevin Kuphal <kuphal at dls.net> wrote:
> Chris Petersen wrote:
> > Ross Campbell wrote:
> >
> >> So... from a fedora-centric view, I believe this would mean that FC3
> >> and backward would no longer work with a mythweb that requires php5
> >> without either someone building a lot of  new packages or individual
> >> users recompiling apache/php/etc.
> >>
> >> If I have 6 months to a year to plan my system upgrades, then I think
> >> I'm okay with this.
> >>

> > Yeah, I'm not expecting anything soon.  .21 is a few months out
> > (assuming that Isaac decides to do that instead of .20.1), and .22
> > should be another long span as they rework the UI stuff.
> >
> > FC3 will get EOL'd in a week or so, so I can't feel too bad about it.
> > There comes a point when if you want to run the latest version of
> > something like mythtv, you'll just have to upgrade.
> >
> I'm still running RH9 on my backend but I am by far the minority here
> and I will simply find a package or upgrade from source if needed to
> keep my system up to date.  I've long given up applying changes to it
> other than myth.  I've even got my own patched ivtv 4.x version that
> works on my old kernel with CC VBI support that I won't touch now that
> it is working.  :)
>
> Kevin

Not sure if it's pertinent or not, but you can run a FC5 vmware guest
image on a FC3 Vmware server and have the FC5 guest image run
just mysql 5.x, the latest apche and php5, etc.

I do something similar... my fw runs fc4 and I run vmware on it.
My webserver / mail server / mysql server / etc run on FC5
as a vmware guest.  The fw ( FC4 part ) runs the mythbackend
and has the drives needed to work with my 2 HDTV capture cards.

vmware has come out with a 'vmware player' and 'vmware sever'
that are free to use.

jack