[mythtv] Making Squished 4:3 -> 16:9 again for mytharchive DVDs?

Martin Møller martin at martinm-76.dk
Wed Oct 4 19:46:19 UTC 2006

Grr! Even when I force everything in mythburn.p to 16:9 I still get 4:3...
There doesn't seem to be anything I can tweak in the database either...

Help! How can I mark a recording as 16:9 in a way that mytharchive will understand?!!

/Martin.

----- Martin Møller <martin at martinm-76.dk> wrote:

----- Nick <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/10/06, Paul Bailey <bailey at dreamshake.net> wrote:

> That's how it's broadcast - the MPEG stream contains a flag that
> determines whether the video is transmitted/decoded as standard 4:3
> or
> widescreen 16:9 - whatever the actual resolution of the video. Common
> sizes are 720x576, 704x576 and 544x576, and its the shape of the
> pixels, not just the dimensions of the stream, that are important.
>
> If MythArchive uses dvdauthor under the hood, it shouldn't be a
> problem to account for this, as the XML format dvdauthor uses can
> flag
> a video as widescreen during the DVD authoring phase. From the
> dvdauthor manpage:
>
> <video [format="ntsc|pal"] [aspect="4:3|16:9"] [resolution="XxY"]
> [caption="field1|field2"] [widescreen="nopanscan|noletterbox"] />
>
> Manually configures the video parameters for this pgcgroup. If any of
> these are not set, then they will be inferred from the source stream.
> Note that the DVD format only specifically supports 720x480, 704x480,
> 352x480, and 352x240 resolutions for NTSC, and 720x576, 704x576,
> 352x576, and 352x288 resolutions for PAL, but DVD author will accept
> wider range of inputs and round up to the nearest size.
>
> There have been a couple of widescreen capture-related posts on the
> -users list also, so this seems like a popular topic at the moment.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick
>
> MythTV Official wiki:
> http://mythtv.org/wiki/
> MythTV users list archive:
> http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users

I have now tried to force the aspect to 16:9 by chaning the 'aspect' variable in mythburn.py, but it didn't seem to take. It's still making a 4:3 DVD. I have even selected menus to be 16:9 but that didn't faze it one bit...

I'll see if I can override it later in the process...

/Martin.