[mythtv] Ideas on signalling my TV between 4:3 and 16:9

Stephen Davies stephen.l.davies at gmail.com
Wed Oct 4 05:44:00 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have a widescreen SD TV.  It has SCART inputs and looks for the pin
8 signal to switch into 16:9 widescreen.  I can't find any way to
switch it to proper "cinemascope" widescreen without that signal.

Now I have a homebrew HD44780 LCD display.  Into that circuit I built
some outputs, including one that I can switch between 0, 6 and 12volts
to use as a pin 8 output to the TV.  You control it using the LCDd
protocol's "output" command that the Mythtv lcdserver also uses to
switch on recording leds.

I also have inputs on that circuit that allow me to read the
widescreen signal coming from my settop box's outputs.  In the event
here in South Africa there is almost no transmitted widescreen though.

My system is all analogue SD.  I use PVR250/350 cards.

Can anyone give me a pointer as to where to start to get MythTV to
"output" the right values via mythlcdserver when it is sending 4:3 or
16:9?  I also need to adjust the way Myth scales at the same time so
tht it knows that the pixel width changes.

Any ideas or comments...

Thanks,
Steve