[mythtv] Building mythtv on LTSP as local App

jam at tigger.ws jam at tigger.ws
Mon Nov 27 13:18:51 UTC 2006

On Monday 27 November 2006 20:09, mythtv-dev-request at mythtv.org wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Base on some investigation (reading), it seems that when running LTSP
> terminals, it best to run mythtv as a local appl vs. running it on the
> server. It looks like X11 display of HD video is too much for it to handle.
>
> So, my plan is to compile mythtv frontend as a local appl. Unfornatuely, I
> can not just copy the code from the server to the local appl software
> location, because it compile with different libc, etc...
>
> So, I must recompile mythtv within the LTSP compile env. Ok, so LTSP has a
> way to do this using LBE. I have build LBE. And the way to build an local
> appl, it to create a package.def.
>
> Well, I can compile lame, but when I get to mythtv, it does not compile for
> me. It looks like mythtv uses qmake. Not sure why but the extra steps using
> qmake confuses the lbe build tool. Its really expects a configure and make
> only.
>
> Has anyone cross compiled using LTSP or LBE? It looks like qmake always
> looks into file "/usr/lib/qt3/mkspecs/default/qmake.conf" for
> configuration, and this does not support cross compile.
>
> Note, I have looked at www.myltsptv.org and minimyth, but these two don't
> use LBE and www.myltsptv.org is 2 yrs old and is built different and is
> mostly is german.
>
> Any help we be appreciated.

Kevin
I have spent very many hours playing with a dozen hardware platforms:

LTSP is bad at doing mythtv

NFS root seems to be the issue, the same hardware running the same software
(ltsp) on a local disk is quite reasonable.

Sound is a pain, so local apps are needed, and still it's barely watchable.

Minimyth works really well. http://www.linpvr.org/. It fits next to ltsp.
I use PXE boot and RAM-Root. It took me a hour to fit minimyth alongside my
ltsp, configure it, and get pictures!

I do use minimyth on pentium-m 256M intel-graphics, AMD x86_64 3500, 512M,
NVIDIA, P4-3 256M NVIDIA. SD and HD both work well (100M lan) using a (dual)
x86_64 3800 as the backend.
I cannot get the AMD to work with twinhan, but DVICOs work fine.

LTSP - SD jerky, HD - unwatchable.
So save yourself the pain, try minimyth
James