[mythtv] Freebox TS streams require greater MAX_SCAN_PACKETS

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri Nov 10 21:53:13 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-11-10 at 22:47 +0100, Philippe wrote:
> I am using the newly added Freebox  recorder. It records the TS streams
> from my ISP.
>
> With the default MAX_SCAN_PACKETS value in libs/libavformat/mpegts.c,
> some streams play without sound in myth whereas they play OK in other
> readers (windows VLC, for instance).
> (some details in
> http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2006-September/150721.html)
>
> After (a long ...) investigation, I could find that myth scans the
> stream for a PAT packet and in these streams it is sometimes  beyond the
> 40000th packet
>
> Increasing MAX_SCAN_PACKETS to 60000 fixed the issue for me.
>
> Would someone include this fix if there is no drawback? Should I open a
> ticket ??

There is a drawback to a large number of scanned packets other
than taking longer to start playing the video, you sometimes end
up seeing a later version of the PAT or PMT and then you can't
view the first portion of the file. The solution we use for the
other recorders is to write a copy of the PAT and PMT at the
beginning of the file. If you make a patch that does this for
the Freebox recorder, I'll apply it.

-- Daniel