[mythtv] Ideas: buffering, skipping, ionice

Russell Mora rd.mora at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 23:24:49 UTC 2006

On 10/31/06, Richard Dale <richard at interlink.com.au> wrote:

> Here's two ideas for MythTV:
>
> <snip>
>
> 2.      ionice (for backend)
>
> Secondly, Linux kernels have an I/O Scheduler called CFQ which, since
> 2.6.13, has a facility called "ionice", allowing you to select a priority
> for reading data from the disk.  Note that ionice has no effect on writes.
> Perhaps the ionice could be increased when the buffer is low and reduced
> when the (frontend) buffer is getting full.

I've utilised ionice on my backend, but here the intention was that jobs
such as commercial flagging, transcoding, mytharchiving, etc, should have a
low priority (I use IOPRIO_CLASS_IDLE).  I did this after seeing a lot of
msgs from ivtv about dropped packets because the backend was not keeping
up.  It seems to work well now, however I've also added RAM so I can't
guarantee that it was all due to ionice (I suspect the RAM helped a great
deal).

I plan to contributing the changes back, when I get a chance.....

HTH

Cheers,
Russell.

Any thoughts?