[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r9962 by danielk

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at edsons.demon.nl
Tue May 23 22:40:30 UTC 2006

Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:

>On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 07:20:32PM +0200, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
>

>>mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
>>

>>>     Author: danielk
>>>       Date: 2006-05-22 17:05:11 +0000 (Mon, 22 May 2006)
>>>New Revision: 9962
>>>  Changeset: http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/9962
>>>
>>>Modified:
>>>
>>>  trunk/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/mpeg/dvbdescriptors.cpp
>>>  trunk/mythtv/libs/libmythtv/mpeg/dvbdescriptors.h
>>>
>>>Log:
>>>
>>>Fixes #1823. Adds new service types needed for HDTV using the DVB table standard. (i.e. those needed for the HDTV broadcasts in the UK.)

>>Daniel,
>>
>>I agree with the code, and disagree with the naming. By calling it HDTV
>>you imply the transmission to be HD. This is not neccesarilly true. The
>>code means it is using advanced codec (= H.264) This can be both SD and
>>HD. I agree with you that for the moment it will be HD. I am expecting
>>though that DVB-T and IP distribution will also use it for SD, as they
>>are pretty much bandwidth limited and can use every possibility to
>>better use their bandwidth.
>>

>I'm told on good authority that service type 0x19 has been allocated to
>hdtv transmission. At the momement everyone else still seems to use
>0x01 ie. television service, for there services that are either hd or sd
>

>Stuart

I should have checked in stead of trusting on memory. Relevant entries
from the draft EN 300 468:
service type         description
0x01                     digital television (MPEG2, preferred SD)
0x11                     MPEG2 HD
0x16                     Advanced codec SD
0x19                     Advanced codec HD

So the one you will see most is H.264 (what the standard calls "Advanced
Codec") HD. Strictly speaking you have 3 options for a HD stream: 0x01
(general MPEG2, for legacy reasons HD allowed here), 0x11 MPEG2 HD, 0x19
H.264 HD.

For SD there are 2 options: 0x01 and 0x16 (H.264 SD).

So my comment as to naming stands (though slightly modified, as there
are more options for HDTV that are not covered).

Cheers,

Rudy