[mythtv] HD3000: Could not get card info for card #0!

Mark Paulus mark.paulus at verizonbusiness.com
Tue May 16 15:24:26 UTC 2006

David Cain wrote:
> At 12:00 PM +0000 5/14/2006, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
>> On Sat, 2006-05-13 at 00:23 -0400, David Cain wrote:
>>> Sorry for having to ask this on the Dev list, but I've tried
>>> MythTV-User twice, searched the archives and the web and don't have any
>>> answers. Have been stalled at this point for about a month and thought
>>> you folks might recognize these symptoms.
>>> I note that I couldn't compile some of the dvb-tools in an earlier
>>> attempt - they too said something about frontend (and 'FE_ATSC' -
>>> "FrontEnd"?) Anyone got any ideas here?
>> This is probably the culprit, my guess is that if you run
>> locate frontend.h | grep dvb
>> it will return more than one set of headers, probably one
>> in /usr/include/linux/dvb, and another in your kernel.
>
> Yep. Found 'em.
>
>> MythTV uses the one in /usr/include, unless you tell it
>> otherwise in ./configure with the "--dvb-path=" directive.
>> In your case I'm betting the headers in /usr/include don't
>> include support for ATSC. There are two options, upgrade
>> your system so that the headers in /usr/include are up to
>> date, or point --dvb-path to the kernel's include directory,
>> but this may or may not work (which is why there is a
>> cleaned up, multi-kernel compatible copy in /usr/include).
>>
>>> Is the issue that I've only installed mythtv-backend and
>>> mythtv-database on this machine?
>> It should be fine so long as you compiled the libraries without
>> --disable-frontend. But you may as well install the whole thing
>> until you have that working, and then get rid of the stuff you
>> don't need. So you don't accidentally remove essential bits.
>
> This is just the rub: I haven't compiled (well, MythTV anyway...). I'm
> using Marillat's (very thoughtfully provided) .debs. Am I to assume there's
> a problem with the .debs? Seems like Marillat mightn't have caught the lack
> of ATSC stuff from France.
>
> I guess my solution is to replace the stock DVB frontend.h file (done) and
> compile MythTV 0.19 from scratch, yes? Have never been able to successfully
> complete compiles of 0.18, so I'm not holding out much hope here.
>
> Should I replace all the other DVB-specific .h files with copies from
> --dvb-path?
>
> Any Debian experts know whether I'll be able to overwrite my own compile of
> 0.19 with (hopefully-working-for-ATSC) debs of the next version without
> problem?
>
> Thanks for the help and the response,
>
> DC

I have been doing this for a while, now.  What I have done is
apt-get source mythtv.

this brings down the source packages that Christian sets up.
Then I have to modify mythtv-0.19/debian/rules to point to my
linux-headers-2.6.16-1-k7.
I also have to modify settings.pro and add
QMAKE_PROJECT_DEPTH This was in a dpatch file in 0.18, and somewhere/someway it got dropped
from 0.19.  I have asked Christian about it, but he has not responded.
Without that line, I get failures on setup.xml, and stuff strewn around
in wierd directories on my box.
I do a 'dch -i' to increment the versions, and to put in some comments,
so I remember the next time what I had to do.

Once I do those, I can issue a
debuild
and wait for failures.  If you get dependency problems, just apt-get the
development libraries/files that you need.

Once the debuild is successful, you can dpkg -i all the debs you just
built and you should be able to see your HD3000 card.

I do not believe it's an issue with Christian's build system.  Remember,
Debian stable/sarge is on 2.6.8-3 kernel, and apparently the v4l/dvb
modules have changed in the later kernels, so Christian's stuff does not
have the changes required for the later kernels.  The only way to get
that as of right now is to build the packages for yourself.

--
Mark Paulus
2424 Garden of the Gods Rd  | Phone:  v622-5578 / 719-535-5578