[mythtv] DVB EIT in mythtv-eit

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Fri May 5 13:28:37 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 13:39 +0200, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Janne Grunau wrote:
> >On Thursday 04 May 2006 17:12, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> >>Fine, this explains why network scanning on my cable network always
> >>fails. The network ID i have to give the STB is 1111. The NIT which
> >>is selected that way has a table id of 0x41 (other network).
> >>I guarantee though, that it is the valid NIT for my location.
> >>This is common cable behaviour. This was recorded on Essent in the
> >>Netherlands.
> >I can only say that Kabel Deutschland does the right thing(tm). They
> >have only one NIT actual network and no NITs fo other networks.

I just wanted to comment that I agree with Janne that we should address
standards compliant systems first, and then build in hacks to allow
scans of compliant systems that don't break normal channel scanning.

As for the feature of only adding encrypted channels for which you have
a subscription, I think that is a fine idea. When you subscribe to one
of these do they give you a 'networkid' to plug into your scan, or would
it make more sense to just check if your CAM is capable of decrypting
the streams? The latter wouldn't be too hard to implement, just have
DVBSignalMonitor pass the PMT to the DVBChannel instance it already
uses, then monitor the streams in the PMT and wait a little bit to
see if the encrypted streams drop their encryption flag.

-- Daniel