[mythtv] New Method for Commercial Detection.

Buzz buzz at oska.com
Wed May 3 06:17:19 UTC 2006

The existing MythTV commercial detecting code is far from perfect (here in
AU anyway), but it typically does at least narrow the field on the
video/audio stream down to smaller pieces (ie less places to look)

Suggestion for blending the two commercial detection techniques....:

A) run new audio analysing commdetector
B) if A) identifies known commercials then run existing MythTV commdetector
over slightly broader region (+5 minutes either side at most?)
C) if A) doesn't detect any known commercials then run existing MythTV
detector over entire recording. (as per now)
D) if B) identifies broader commercial region than A) (ie new ad/s at
start/end), consider it a new region/commercial to "teach" to audio
analysing commdetector.
E) if D) results in a new region/commercial then fully trust(ie put/activate
it in the fingerprint database) that audio fingerprint once it is seen
elsewhere in a different program/episode (if the program is different, but
the fingerprint is the same, it's not part of the program, and must be a
commercial).

This may mean that a comercial is "seen" the first time, and removed after
that, but only if it occurs at the start/end of a break, and only if it's
the first time it's ever been seen ever.

Buzz.