[mythtv] New Method for Commercial Detection.

Robert Dunn anakinberrybread at paradise.net.nz
Wed May 3 04:50:11 UTC 2006

Steven Adeff wrote:

> I wonder if Philips will integrate this into their recent patent to
> further prevent us from skipping commercials...

Yeah, thats something I will deal with when I have to.

> By the way, besides the presence of the paper describing how to
> effectively take audio fingerprints, there is nothing that would stop
> you from combining these with a video fingerprint right?

No there is nothing stopping you from doing that, however, consider
doing this in real time. With the audio I can work off 16bit samples.
Even a small video frame is (assuming gray scale) 320*200*8bit
(512kbit), the amount of data processing is orders of magnitudes
greater, I don't see the need to get involved with a video finger print
considering the huge CPU processing overhead it would create. Besides
there are very few instances where the audio of television would be an
exact match for 2 different video sequences. However, the same paper
could be relatively easily adapted to a video algorithm but I just dont
think it would be possible to run it in real time.
> There is a fairly decent implementation of a convolver in lavc I
> believe.  Check out some of the filters in mplayer for examples of how
> to use it.
Im unsure, searching large databases is not a strong point of mine
(rarely do I have to deal with that kind of thing in my embedded stuff)
I deal mostly with real-time processing.

Now i'm in the process of getting myself a PVR-350 and a linux box to
test on. Does anyone who is familiar with the commercial detection in
myth feel like giving me a hand by explaining briefly how
CommDetectorBase etc all fits in with the operation of MythTV, ill get
it eventually but a quick summary just a paragraph just to point me in
the right direction would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Rob.