[mythtv] playback problems with a certain station

Jack Perveiler perveilerj at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 16 18:28:58 UTC 2006

--- Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/16/06, Jack Perveiler <perveilerj at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > I've been having trouble with a certain hidef station, 7_1 - WHDH HD Boston
> > (1080i) with 19-fixes r9324 (using the Standard decoder).  Might also be
> worth
> > noting that I'm using the animated video previews in the program selection
> > menu.

<snip long portion of original post>

> Jack,
>    I was running 9327-fixes and am now running 9369-fixes and haven't
> noticed this problem with WHDH-DT, though I'll look into it to see if
> I notice what your seeing. What tuner are you using?
>
> --
> Steve

Steve,

Thanks for the reply.  I'm using a HD-3000 with an OTA antenna, which for all
intents and purposes has been working really well for a long time now.  I only
get these wierd issues with WHDH HD (although to be fair I get the audio sync
problem on WBZ-DT once in a great while).

Do you use the animated preview in the program selector?  I wonder if:

"[mpeg2video @ 0xb741b840]insufficient thread locking around
avcodec_open/close()"

is causing the video codec (opened earlier for the preview, maybe?) not to
close, which is why I get:

"2006-03-15 14:34:23.953 AFD: Warning, video codec 0x8c54ba0 id(MPEG2VIDEO)
type (Video) already open."

a short time later.  Maybe not properly closing and re-opening the codec means
the decoder is in a wierd state and this causes the badness.  Maybe there's
just something with WHDH HD's stream that exaggerates a race somewhere.

I'm going to try 1) not using any preview and 2) tracking down whomever
opens/closes codecs and trying some additional locking.  All after my wife/kid
go to bed, of course ;)

--Jack