[mythtv] Introduction LONG (was Re: Interesting Comparison)

Chad masterclc at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 19:22:17 UTC 2006

> It might be stupid, but the idea came to me when I realized I own a lot
> of DVDs but I almost *never* actually take the time to pick one out and
> watch it.  Yet, I'll watch the same movie I have on DVD when it's on TV.

You and everyone else on the planet!  I find myself doing this, and
when at friends and family's houses, they do the same thing.

I like the idea of a channel with your movies, and a "simpson's
channel" etc would be quite cool.  I think it might be slightly easier
though to do something with the existing code.  If you are capable of
understanding how it works, maybe the duplicate detection code could
be integrated with MythVideo to perform the following:
When a movie comes on TV, it checks against your current lineup in
MythVideo to see if you already have the Movie (IMDB would have to
play an integral part to work out inconsistencies in Titling and such)
and "replace" it with your Movie.  So, if you are channel surfing, and
you notice that Return of Jedi is on TNT, and you tune to that
channel, myth will pull up your copy of RoJ from your video directory,
queue to the "timecode" the show is currently at (or heck, why not
start it from the beginning?) and begin playback.  Once you 'surf' off
the channel, it unloads the movie and returns to 'regular' use.

I think implementing *that* might be easier because you could string
together existing work, or at least it would seem.

Good Luck!  If you do implement this in some way, keep us posted.  I
quite like the idea of watching TV and randomly deciding to "Tune to
the Simpson's Network" for a couple episodes, and would far more
likely do that than pull out my 6 Seasons of DVD's physically or via
MythVideo.

Chad