[mythtv] Backend SEGV

Marcus Metzler mocm at mocm.de
Wed Mar 1 14:24:41 UTC 2006

    Daniel> On Wed, 2006-03-01 at 13:31 +0000, Stuart Auchterlonie
    Daniel> wrote:
    >>> I'm having the backend segfault on 9218.  I believe it's
    >>> related to [9214] as it is attempting to covert the
    >>> ServiceName to a string using dvb_decode_text rather than the
    >>> old copy. dvb_decode_text can't find a codec to decode this
    >>> and returns a NULL codec.

    Daniel> Can you try SVN?

    Daniel> I believe this was due to an off-by-one error fixed in
    Daniel> commit 9219.

    Marcus> Since I only saw your fix after I fixed the problem for
    Marcus> myself and I would have to roll back everything to see if
    Marcus> it works, I would like to suggest to add the following
    Marcus> diff to mythtv/libs/libmythtv/mpeg/dvbdescriptors.cpp.
    Marcus> This adds some checks to the dvb_decode_text function that
    Marcus> would avoid segfaults. To see that there might be trouble
    Marcus> in other function some warning messages could be added
    Marcus> instead of just returning N/A.

Sorry, about not creating a ticket, but I have never done it and did
not have the time to do it right now.

I also would like to mention, that the use of swab is not a good idea
if you want to run myth on systems that are not little-endian. Since
in the context of the MPEG format you have many of these cases where
you need to get a length or other value from the mpeg stream, you
should either use network to host function (since MPEG is in network
order)  or use bit operations.

Marcus

| mocm at metzlerbros.de            | http://www.metzlerbros.de/        |
 |>>>             Quis custodiet ipsos custodes                 <<<|