[mythtv] More SA3250 Nonsense and Questions

Chris Ingrassia chris at spicecoffee.org
Sun Jun 11 21:51:54 UTC 2006

	Forgive me if this is outside the scope of this list, but it seemed
the most appropriate place to bring this up at the moment.

	I'm trying to hack in better support for SA3250 channel changing via
firewire.  I had some initial success yesterday, but I keep running
into a few problems, and I was wondering if anybody out there had
some previous experience or could point me in the right direction
towards solving it.

	First off, the stock sa3250ch.c code in the mythtv distro didn't
work for me.  It changed the channels, but never to the right channel
number.  Don't know if it was a side effect of something on my system
or just the fact that it's running 64bit code or what.

	In any case, the modified version I posted to this list yesterday
more or less works for me.  Except that it flakes out when you try to
tune to channels < 100.  It's almost like it barfs on one of the
commands and keeps it in the queue, and it then ends up screwing up
any subsequent commands you send to it.

	At first, I thought it was just that I was tuning to analog channels
and my 3250 wouldn't send me a firewire stream for them.  However, I
"caught" it sending me a firewire stream for an analog channel last
night (not quite sure how that happened, but it was the only way for
the picture to show up in MythTV), so it appears that such a thing is
possible.  It's also possible I was wrong and that channel wasn't
really analog, but I'm reasonably certain everything below a certain
channel (and I think it's 100) is analog, which conveniently happens
to be the threshold for where channel-changing starts acting funny.

	Doing some debugging with the channel code while watching the
regular component video output from the 3250 connected to my TV, it
appears that when I send one or two digit channels (any leading
zeroes are supposed to be being sent out over the firewire) it puts
the 3250 in a state where it doesn't seem to understand what channel
I want, flashes '???' in the info area, and I don't get a picture.
About 9 times out of 10, anyway, sometimes it ends up actually
flipping to a channel (not usually the right one) and I get a
picture, but that's sort of a rarity.

	Does anyone have any insight into how to better hack on this?  I'm
basically taking shots in the dark since I can't seem to find any
relevant documentation on what I'm supposed to be sending to the box,
and since the SA3250 doesn't seem to respond to the AV/C 1394
standard opcodes as defined in the libavc1394 headers (at least not
the way they're used in their example code or in a way that would
seem to make any sense, not that that means much of anything).

	There's still a ton of other different variations I can try in terms
of sending stuff to the box and seeing what happens, but I thought it
might save me some time if anyone else has been down this path :)

Thanks in advance,

-Chris