[mythtv] MythArchive and MPEG4 (software) recordings.

Paul Harrison mythtv at dsl.pipex.com
Sat Jun 10 15:20:42 UTC 2006

Martin Møller wrote:
> Lørdag 10 juni 2006 05:40 skrev stanley kamithi:
>
>> your progress log seems to have the same ffmpeg error i was encountering.
>> i have  nuv mpeg4 files generated from a plextor m402u.
>>
>>  ffmpeg app fails to find the end of the nuv mpeg4 recording and crashes.
>> i sent a patch to the ffmpeg folks...
>>
>> http://lists.mplayerhq.hu/pipermail/ffmpeg-devel/2006-May/011571.html
>>
>> mytharchive worked great after that.
>>
> Thank you Stanley! It does indeed make all the difference.
>
> That leaves me with what the valid DVD resolutions are...
>
> def isResolutionOkayForDVD(videoresolution):
>     if videomode=="ntsc":
>         return videoresolution==(720,480) or videoresolution==(704,480) or vi
> deoresolution==(352,480) or videoresolution==(352,240)
>     else:
>         return videoresolution==(720,576) or videoresolution==(704,576) or vi
> deoresolution==(352,576) or videoresolution==(352,288)
>
> Should be okay... Is it an aspect thing then?
>
> Oh well, at least my very first mytharchive DVD is in the making. :)
>
> /Martin.

The valid dvd resolutions only apply if the file is already in mpeg2
format. Currently if a file has to be re-encoded because its not an
mpeg2 or has an invalid resolution its done using encoding parameters
that are hard coded into the script so the resolution is always changed
to 720x480 for ntsc or 720x576 for pal. I'm currently looking at how to
make the encoding parameters selectable probably by allowing the user to
select a named profile. Power users will always be able to add there own
custom profile simply by editing a config file.

Paul H.