[mythtv] Hi, I'm a mythtv user...

florin baiduc florinbaiduc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 08:40:40 UTC 2006

On 6/9/06, Brian D. Moffet <moffetb at cruzio.com> wrote:

> Good afternoon,
>
> I thought I would just introduce myself and what I am doing with MythTV.
>
> I've got an Epia MII 1Ghz machine, running Fedora Core 4, 512 Meg
> memory, Plextor TV402 USB card, ATI Wireless remote, MythTV 0.19, wis
> drivers 0.9.8.
>
> I've got the system up and running using TWM so that when the machine
> boots it automatically goes into an account which starts up the front
> end.  I need to do some minor work to make it a nice
> "appliance" (things like automatically turning off the screen saver,
> etc..) but it works moderately well.  It's kept me from developing my
> own PVR software, so thanks for that, I don't need yet another hobby.
>
> This is all working fairly well, with one exception.  Somewhat
> randomly, the USB port will disconnect, with the usual message "usb
> 1-2: USB disconnect, address 2".  Once that happens I get the "Only
> read -1 bytes of 16384 bytes from '/dev/dsp1 (5)".  I'm currently
> suspecting the USB chipset, and will investigate a bit more.
>
> My background includes work as a Unix kernel engineer, XServer
> engineer, and a bunch of other stuff.
>
> Anyway, just introducing myself.
>
> Brian Moffet

This strongly sounds like a problem with your Epia system, and it's
not related to the development of MythTV... Via provided a new bios to
solve a lot of problemsw with the Linux DMA transfer, so you should
ckeck the appropriate Epia User's forum lists...
BTW - you could run a LinuxBIOS (white knuckle, I know, as this easily
can brick your board), and you'll get rid of many problems..