[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Yeasah Pell yeasah at schwide.com
Thu Jun 8 21:52:48 UTC 2006

Torbjörn Jansson wrote:

>Yeasah Pell <mailto:yeasah at schwide.com> wrote:
>

>>I'm not sure how much Myth is tied into its set of internal
>>decoders (or
>>if it has any support for the concept of a decoder that also renders,
>>for that matter)
>>

>If someone is porting myth to windows they probably want to keep as much as
>possibel, like internal audio/video decoders and all that stuff.
>Messing with directshow just to make use of a video renderer is probably
>overkill since you need a custom filter.
>I guess it's probably easier to use directdraw or something directly.

Of course you'd want to keep that intact, and leave the existing
directdraw code in there as well. Getting the windows frontend working
first is probably a higher priority than adding other video output
options, no? :-)

But once you have a working windows frontend, I think it'd be a great
enhancement, since it represents one of the few real strengths the
platform has in this area. Plus, it might incite some improvements in
the linux video output options -- can't have a windows frontend
outperforming the original linux one :-) Maybe it's not widely known
amongst MythTV users, but some of the commercial MPEG2/MPEG4 decoders
available for windows as directshow filters are of noticeably higher
quality than any of the filters/decoders that myth has to offer, and
also offer much more extensive hardware acceleration as well (hello
1080p h.264) -- there's a definite payoff for the work.

I'm not sure why I'm babbling on about it though, as I have no intention
of working on or using a windows frontend. End of babbling. :-)