[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Yeasah Pell yeasah at schwide.com
Thu Jun 8 20:48:38 UTC 2006

Torbjörn Jansson wrote:

>mythtv-dev-bounces at mythtv.org <> wrote:
>

>>On 6/6/06, Yeasah Pell <yeasah at schwide.com> wrote:
>>
>>	Hey, that's great! I don't suppose DirectShow video
>>output for mpeg2 (or
>>	h.264!) is on the agenda -- Windows does definitely
>>have an edge in
>>	terms of the variety and feature richness of video
>>decoders (including
>>	high quality deinterlacing, advanced hardware
>>acceleration, etc.) --
>>	this is actually the only reason I'd ever consider
>>running MythTV on
>>	Windows.
>>

>>That would be more dependant on the codecs you have installed
>>than any modifications to the current code at the moment.
>>
>>Mike
>>

>And lots of work geting directshow to play nice with mythtv, and you
>probably would run into a few intresting problems.
>Like, ms mpeg2 demuxer is crap, you probably need to write a custom filter
>to get the data into the filter graph.

True, but at least there is a GPL'd reference available that's already
been tackling those kinds of issues for a while now (MediaPortal) --
some codecs include their own demuxers too -- IIRC, nvidia's purevideo
comes with its own demuxer that is not nearly as terrible as the
chop-o-matic heap that MS includes. Directshow itself is actually pretty
easy to work with (save for the quirks that plague most filters), but
I'm not sure how much Myth is tied into its set of internal decoders (or
if it has any support for the concept of a decoder that also renders,
for that matter)

But you'd need to write a custom filter anyway, since there isn't any
"raw socket" stream source filter that I know of that would be needed to
play streams directly from a backend. DSMyth must include a filter like
this though, so there's again probably some reference available for that
work too.

Ah, the wonderful world of Windows.