[mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information

Lucas Meijer lucas at mach8.nl
Tue Jun 6 22:40:14 UTC 2006

Hey Justin,
> I looked at this about a year ago, and basically the way the settings
> are stored requires access to the database, and myth, last I checked,
> uses QT to do all that.  So basically, as far as I know anyway, if
> you have QT you have X.  It would be possible to write a text mode
> configuration program that access mysql directly but as of right now I
> will concentrate my work on getting the new frontend config working.

Fair enough. I don't think X is a requirement for QT, but it surely is
for mythtv :). So everyone will have an xserver, my point is that it is
not always very convenient to have to use it.

That being said, I don't think it's a very big deal, and the revamp of
the settings itself is way more important than the potential
inconvienance to have to use X to do the setup.

I'm still hoping min/max values, potential values, expert level could be
stored as colums in the settingstable :-), alltough I also see potential
problems on how to store certain logic between settings like that. (only
show setting B,C & D if setting A is enabled, else show setting E & F etc).

Good luck with your SoC project,

  Lucas