[mythtv] mythtv-dev Digest, Vol 40, Issue 5

Mark A. Hoover mahoover at ispaceonline.org
Sat Jun 3 00:07:14 UTC 2006

> From: "Justin M. Hunt" <beyonddeath at focushere.ca>
> Subject: [mythtv] SoC 2006: Configuration Revamp Information
>
> Channels to display: causes problems when changed
> Time blocks to display: causes problems when changed

I've used this setting to display more shows on the screen.  I have a
converter box provided by the cable company that displays more channels
and timeslots than Myth does by default and that's what I'm used to, so I
reset these to something that was closer to what I'm used to dealing with.

> All the other settings will still be available in the future, although they will be moved, and categorized more logically.

I think there's a danger here of removing settings that somebody may be
using and are potentially useful to some group of people.  Not all such
people necessarily post to this mailing list.  I do agree with the ideas
of the others who posted before me that it would be a great idea to see
the configuration broken down into a Basic, Intermediate, and Advanced
configuration.  The lesser used options or the options more likely to
confuse someone and not necessary to getting the system up could be moved
into one of the higher level categories.

Removing options that really don't do anything is a good idea, removing
ones just because a few people don't use them is another.

Another suggestion: More detailed help descriptions would be nice in some
cases.  There are still various options in the config that I still have no
idea what they do.....